The Spassky orthodox man's monastery in Kobrin was founded allegedly in the 16th century. In spite of the fact that exact date of its basis did not reach us, it is known that the monastery was created at the initiative of the last Kobrin prince Ivan Semenovich. Subsequently, his widow, the son and the daughter-in-law made many donations in favor of the Spassky monastery.
In 1465 the princess Ulyana Kobrinskaya to the monastery donated a mill and extensive grounds, and also other property. The Spassky monastery was rich and prospering. In 1492 the princess Fedora Ivanovna gave part of the lands and real estate in favor of the monastery. When at the beginning of the 16th century the princess passed into Catholicism, she tried to take away part of the presented lands from the monastery, however, after the claim of the archimandrite Kobrin Vasian, lands were returned to monks.
After signing of the Brest union in 1596 the monastery by almost full structure, having kept all the property, passed into the union. The last archimandrite Jonah became the Turovo-Pinsky bishop. In the 17th century the monastery was similar to the state in the state. It possessed a set of villages and folvarok. The monastery strongly was damaged during war of 1812. The essential damage was caused to structures, and during Kobrin fight the ancient wooden monastic church burned down on June 27, 1812.
In 1839 the union was cancelled, and the monastery is closed. In its walls the spiritual school was organized, and the building of the main case stood in desolation. In the 1920th years the Polish authorities made big repair during which it was completely reconstructed in a civil structure in the main case, the remains of a monastic decor were destroyed. In days of the Polish board the court was placed here. In days of the Soviet power within the walls of the former main monastic case there was a police station.
The inhabited case — the two-storeyed brick rectangular building in the plan covered with a roof with breaks. The main and domestic facades of a raskrepovana 2 projections — in the center of the main east facade and in northwest part of a domestic facade. The central projection is allocated with an attikovy pediment with luchkovy end and sated with modelled decorative elements. Walls are decorated with pilasters, figured panels around rectangular window openings, finished by the developed eaves. Overlappings over floors frame, over the cellar the cylindrical arch. Internal planning of the building is considerably changed.
Originally central part was occupied by monastic church. On the first floor in a northwest corner there was a refectory. In other part of the building there were office also premises. On the building 2 memorial boards are established: in honor of a victory of the Russian troops in 1812. "A memorial board in honor of a victory of the Russian troops in 1812" and for perpetuating of memory of police officers "A memorial board to police officers". The monastery - a monument of architecture of baroque.
On June 29, 2010 the building was returned to Orthodox Church. On November 20, 2010 here the female Spassky monastery was organized. In 2011 to the monastery the list from the honored icon of the Mother of God of "Skoroposlushnits" was delivered. Four centuries later believers consider Renaissance of the orthodox monastery as miracle.
Spassky monastery 1930th years
Spassky monastery in days of old
Spassky monastery in days of old
Ruins of the Kobrin monastery
Address: Kobrin, st. on September 17th, 11
Phone: +375 (1642) 2-12-15