Zamkovaya square. On Kobrin's plan of 1798 twelve streets instead of seven existing in the 16th century are specified already. Besides there was one more area - Castle, to the North from Market. Exactly there was Nizhny Novgorod the lock and the posad, and then the town hall was placed.
In 1766 under the decree of the king Stanislav Augustus Ponyatovsky Kobrin it was deprived of the Magdebourg right. The administration of economy from the lock which was in absolutely unsuitable state passed into the estate built on the southern suburb of the city.
In 1795 along with numerous villages of the huge estate Kobrin Keyof To A.V. Suvorov the lock with the lands attributed to it was transferred. Suvorov disposed to demolish the remains of castle strengthenings, but this order was not completely executed as it is known that during fight on July 15, 1812 the opponent showed the last resistance on castle ruins. Final disappearance of the last traces of the bulk hill called by "the castle mountain" belongs to the end of the first half of the 19th century. It coincided with laying of Moskovsko-Varshavskoye Highway passing through the downtown. For earthwork soldiers of engineering team completely dug out the castle mountain.
On Kobrin's plan in the center the schematic arrangement of the lock is specified. Appears from it that present Lenin Street passes between the top and lower locks. In the 19th century the area where once lower lock settled down, was called Senna, and at the same time Hay the lane from the Market square on Hay was called. On the square there was a treasury building. In 1912 the building of loan noble bank was built, and into the Polish period of 1921-1939 the area was renamed in Bank. During the German occupation of 1915-1918 the area called Commandant's, and adapted the building of bank for cable station.
When in 1920 in Kobrin the Soviet power was established, in one of buildings on this square the district Revolutionary-military committee was placed. Possibly, in memory of this event from 1939 to 1941 the area carried the name — on July 11 (Minsk was freed on July 11, 1920 from the Polish interventionists).
It is unknown how the area was called during Kobrin's occupation by fascist aggressors in 1941-1944. After war, in 1948, the square was called Komsomoltsev Square. In 1987, in days of celebration of the 700 anniversary of Kobrin, it was renamed into 700-letiya Kobrina Square, and in its center established a monument with the image of two historical coats of arms of Kobrin and seven stones boulders, each of which symbolizes century.
In July, 2003 700-letiya Kobrina Square was renamed by the decision of the toponymic commission at Kobrin district executive committee in Castle.
Some buildings and constructions at Zamkovaya square are entered in the list of historical and cultural values of Republic of Belarus. Photos of buildings in their present shape are given below. So Zamkovaya square and houses at numbers 3, 5, 14, 15 entered in the list stated above looks.
Loan noble bank, about 1916
Sennaya Square. 1920th years
Magistrate and Bank
Bankovskaya Square, 1935. Foto © Magdalena Woiniak